It’s hard to believe it is almost Memorial Day Weekend which for most of is a symbol of the start of summer.
Whether you are at an ideal body weight and have health issues or you are struggling to lose those pounds before we have to shed our winter clothes. Most of us will be swapping the sweaters and sweats for shorts, tanks and bathing suits.
I thought that this would be a great opportunity to share with you a few tricks if you have fallen off of the wagon since your New Year’s Resolution (or revolution as my 8 year old called hers) or just beginning your journey to a healthier you
1. Drink water. I know that you are probably so tired of everyone telling you this. Our bodies are 60% water. You can survive about a month without food but only a week without water. Most of the time we hit the snack jar it is because we are hungry. Add something special to your water. My new favorite is raspberries and jalepeno slices. Fill it up and keep drinking you will be amazed how great you will feel.
2. Eat more Veggies and less of the “white stuff”. Of course I would love if I could convince everyone to eat less (or no) animal products, but sometimes we have to take 1 step at a time. If everyone could reduce the amount of processed “white stuff” refined sugars and wheat that we eat diabetes and heart disease would be reduced. Your plate should always have 50% veggies on it. Every dinner should include a salad. Leave the bread at the bakery. Eat fruit as a dessert. Grilled fruit is an absolute delicious treat. Try Meatless Monday and see how you feel on Tuesday!
3. We have all heard it but we need to try it. If you are not hungry enough to eat an apple than you are not really hungry. Always have vegetables and fruit ready available. Many of us turn to processed snacks because they are so easy and available. Cut up veggies keep them in your fridge. Throw some snack packs of nuts in your car, desk, bag so that you always have an options when your hunger bell calls.
4. Move. The weather is nice so get outside and move! Do yard work. Walk the dog. Anyway you can increase your daily steps will make you feel and look better. It doesn’t have to be for an hour even 10 minutes can help.
5. Strength Train. This is especially key if you are getting up there in years. As we age our muscle mass decreases which in turn our metabolism decreases. 15 minutes a day. Use weights that challenge you. Do 1 minute of each exercise and repeat until 15 minutes has passed. Only have 10 minutes, 5 minutes…still take the time. Some exercises that hit the major muscle groups: Shoulder Presses, Squats, Bicep Curls, Lunges, Crunches, Bent Over Rows and Tricep Kickbacks.
6. Relax. Turn the phone off. Hang with the family. Have your morning coffee/tea on the Patio. Take time for yourself. Stress increases our cortisol levels which in turn make it difficult to take those unwanted pounds off.
7. Realize it is never too late to get back on track. Don’t let guilt ruin your attempts to be the best you, you can be. Start today, don’t keep waiting for tomorrow. We all take twist and turns when it comes to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Don’t give up!
These simple 7 steps that can be summed up pretty easily eat more veggies, drink more water, move and sit back and enjoy your summer and all the joy that it can bring.
Today is YOUR day, don’t wait for tomorrow, because tomorrow may NEVER come. NO EXCUSES – You CAN change your life, and you CAN be a better YOU!
Happy and Healthy Eating!